Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Athletic Role Models

I am not a fan of the Hip-Hop culture which black athletes continue to offer as a model for urban kids to emulate. I realize that I am supposed to accept the nonsense that all cultures are equal and one is not superior to another, but I just can't get there. A recent flap over the dress code for black players in the NBA reinforced my distain for these overpaid and selfish parasites. It would be easy to just condemn them, but I started looking for some athletes who could and should be alternatives to the Iversons in the NBA. Two I came up with were Tiki Barber of the New York Giants and Warrick Dunn of the Atlanta Falcons. These two running backs seem to excel off the playing field as well as on it. Barber dresses appropriately and speaks in complete sentences which suggest an above average intelligence. Warrick devotes a large amount of his time and money to charitable activities instead of bling bling and absurd bopping from one mindless activity to another. There are probably others, but I doubt the youth in the hood will notice them.

Personal Unsecured Loan