Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Murray Part 2

The second of three essays by Charles Murray was in the Wall Street Journal today and so far I haven't been able to get a link to it since I am not a subscriber to the online version. However, his subject today was an extension of yesterday's in that he reviews what those of us who have been in academia have known for a long time---namely the colleges and universities are largely populated by students who have no ability to prosper from the education, per se. They will enjoy themselves at great expense, but a degree in sociology, psychology, economics, or history will not certify them for anything in future employment except maybe perseverance. There are better, faster, more efficient ways to provide credentials for employers.

The really important message of this essay is based on I.Q. as one might expect. He maintains, correctly I believe, that a person with an average intelligence of about 100 will find that a genuine college education in the arts and sciences begins where the students skills (mentally) leave off. Using an estimate of what one's I.Q. should be to pursue a college degree as about 115, he concludes that only about 15% of today's students should go to college and yet we now have 45% of recent high school students enrolling in college and that is enough to absorb everyone down to an I.Q. of about 104. The result of this is our colleges are adjusting their standards and courses to accommodate them and this is largely an economic decision by the schools to get their money.

If I can find a way to link to this article, I will put it up since it is a very interesting read, in my view.

Personal Unsecured Loan