Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Santorem/Casey Debate

Here is the Democrats answer to the Iraq situation as expounded by Bob Casey on Meet the Press last Sunday in a debate with Senator Santorem.

Russert: Let's go right to it: the war in Iraq. Mr. Casey, you're the challenger, you told the Philadelphia Inquirer August 2005 the following:

"Casey said he would have voted for the war considering the evidence at the time, and supported the spending bills that funded the effort." Knowing what you know today, would you still have voted for the war?

Casey: Tim, before I begin my answer I just want to make a note of a loss in Pennsylvania. Mayor Bob O'Connor, in the city of Pittsburgh, passed away. We want to express--I think we share that here today--we want to express our condolences to his family.

Tim, on the war in Iraq, if, if, if a lot of Americans knew now--if they knew then what they know now, they would, they would have thought that this war was the war that shouldn't have been fought based upon the misleading of this administration.

Here's what I think has to happen in Iraq today.

Russert: So you would not vote for it today.

Casey: Based upon the information that we have now, I think that, that a lot of Americans would have serious doubts. I'm not sure there would have even been a vote on Iraq that early in the--

Russert: But in '05 you said you'd vote for it. Would you today in '06 vote for it?

Casey: Based upon the evidence that was presented then, yes, which I think has been--was misleading, and I think it was faulty. The intelligence was faulty.

Russert: But today, today is no. Today you would vote no.

Casey: Today--if we knew then what we know now, sure. I think there wouldn't have been a vote and I think people would have changed.

After all that, the only thing we know for sure is that Casey is sorry the mayor died.


Personal Unsecured Loan